Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

For some reason all I can think of right now is a story Steve Merchant told on an episode of the XFM show he did with Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington in London, The Ricky Gervais Show. I was obsessed with Steve and Ricky after I saw The Office (Tim, Dawn, Brent, and Gareth were perfect characters), downloaded every season, and listened to an episode whenever I was on a plane, train, or mechanical bull of reasonable difficulty. It was hilarious; they're very clever guys and Karl is just a...fascinating human. I eventually got through them all--and their new podcasts. When I saw Ricky's stand-up in New York I realized I had memorized just about every story he told. It was weird. But whatever, when I get into things I get into things. So, it comes as no surprise that on this, Monday of Memorial Day weekend, I am reminded of a gift Steve received from his father.

Steve's dad handed him a cassette on his thirteenth birthday. Steve looked it over and asked, "A Compilation of Churchill's Greatest Speeches?" Steve's dad nodded solemnly, "Never forget, son." Steve's like, "What? I don't remember, Dad."

And--at the risk of being a total cheeseball--it is with this attitude in mind that I attempt to say "Thanks" to the men and women who have served our country in any way. I may be a stupid, lazy, selfish kid, but I appreciate anyone who is willing to sacrifice his own comfort and dedicate a part of his life to helping those in need and fighting for what he believes in. I know it probably doesn't mean much, but with all due respect: Good job.

Now, let me tell you what I've been doing with the time these fine men and women have earned me. Basically, I chilled the hell out. I downloaded a ton of music, ran around the woods, BBBQed [sic] with the fam, watched the Flyers lose, watched Halladay pitch a PERFECT GAME, ate icecream, ran around a cemetery, wrestled with my nephew, and held the Master Sword.


I think any veteran would be proud that I made the most of my weekend. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment