Monday, May 24, 2010

Save Some Green

A week or two ago I was walking through the city, listening to my iPod and keeping my eyes peeled for anything spectacular. I was also looking for something decidedly unspectacular. Having just drank the last few drops of water from the Styrofoam cup I had been given with my Indian express for lunch, I found myself in need of a trashcan. What luck was it then that I should walk past a sign informing me of a new store called "Save Some Green." The store appeared to be an adorable, environmentally-conscious trading post filled with intriguing wares. The sign was also keen on informing me that the store was open and that I should go inside. I stopped to think, "This place does look awesome and stores do have trashcans...You got it, sign." Problem solved.



As I walked through the door, I realized the irony of the situation I had just put myself in. I don't know much about Styrofoam, but I know that it's horrible for planet earth in general. I was stepping into a store--whose main concern is global preservation--holding a piece of bio-dynamite left over from lunch. Had I learned nothing from Fern Gully? At least I wasn't wearing my "I <3 clubbing baby seals" shirt that day. But still, I was fully prepared to be reprimanded and apologize for my complete lack of eco-compassion. Luckily, the proprietor was extremely cool.



I walk up to the owner, Judah Press, and ask if they have a trashcan.

Judah: "What? This is an environmentally-friendly store. We don't make trash."
Me: "Wait, seriously?"
Judah: "No. Here. [Takes Styrofoam cup to throw away behind the counter. Recognizes that I am a plight on the circle of life and enjoy poisoning the biosphere]...Really?"
Me: "It's not my fault! They gave it to me at lunch. Besides, maybe I came here to change my ways or to buy a....what is happening over there?"
Judah: "Those are ocarinas."

I instantly become obsessed with the store. I take a look around and find that it houses a collection of fascinating trinkets, practical gadgets, killer threads, and unique pieces of art.








I ask a few questions, buy an angry lion ocarina and a choice belt made from old truck tires. Before I leave, I make a mental note to come back and find out more.

On Sunday, I stopped by and harassed Judah with a few questions. He was glad to tell me about himself and the store.

Me: "Okay, I can't figure out how to put my Droid into stenographer mode, so we're just going to kick it old school. Ok?"
Judah: "Ok. What do you want to know?"
Me: "First, who are you? Where are you from?"
Judah: "I'm Judah Press. I'm originally from the Northeast. I lived in New York for a few years, but I came back to go to graduate school at Penn. That's where I got my Masters in Environmental Studies."
Me: "Oh, cool. So have you always been into saving the environment and all that? Are you involved with any local agencies or anything?"
Judah: "Yeah. I'm not really involved with a group. I went to Africa to plant trees a couple years ago. I've just always kind of had the idea for this store but it was too expensive to pull off in New York City."
Me: "Right, but you were able to get things off the ground in Philly? Do you have any partners in crime?"
Judah: "Not really. It's just me. I don't have much of a safety net. Coming back has made it easier; my parents have been very supportive. But yeah, I'm on my own."
Me: "You're a bold kid. So tell me about this store. What kind of things do you sell? Would you say you have a mission?"
Judah: "The store definitely has a mission. I try to save people money and help them save the environment at the same time. I'm mainly selling things that enable people to go green easily: lightbulbs, water filters, everyday things that have less chemicals or use less energy. My goal is to make these things available and sell them without the typical eco-friendly markup."
Me: "So, you're trying to remove the stigma that green merchandise has picked up over the years? You cut out the sticker shock attached to saving the world?"
Judah: "Right."
Me: "Righteous. But I've noticed, you also sell super-sweet belts and water bottles."
Judah: "Yeah, I like to think we've got a nice balance between the practical everyday and the cool gifts."
Me: "Yeah, man. I'd agree. Ok do you have any tips for people trying to be more green?"
Judah: "Sure. The public transportation in Philly is decent. Try to use that. The tap water's fine. Just try to do whatever you can: everything in moderation."
Me: "Nice. And one final question. Favorite movies? Music? Cartoons? Do you listen to the Ditty Bops?"
Judah: "I don't know, I like a lot of stuff. I like Green Day."
Me: "Nice. I see what you did there."
Judah: "But wait who are the Ditty Bops?"
Me: "They're a super cute duo of neo-hippies that write charming folk songs about saving the environment and that. Check out Walk or Ride; it's about picking whether or not to take your time, ride your bike, and admire your surroundings instead of just driving everywhere, missing out on life, and ignoring the consequences...I think."
Judah: "Cool, I'll check it out."
Me: "Great, thanks so much for talking to me. I love the store.
Judah: "You're welcome. Have a nice day."

At this point, I pack up my stuff and leave. I don't get halfway down the block until I hear someone call my name. I turn around and see Judah standing outside. I run back to see that I have left my coffee on his counter. He hands me the cup. Not only is it not Styrofoam, it's got an "eco-sleeve" insulator around it. I pretend like I knew this all along.

Judah: "Nice cup."
Me: "You know how I do it."

Rad, even the coffee shop around the corner is getting wise.

(Save Some Green is just across the river at 2005 Chestnut Street. The shop is proud to sell local artists' works--paintings, pottery, sculptures--as well as fair trade materials.)

No comments:

Post a Comment