Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Jamboree of Surprises


Hey guys, how's it going? Ok first and foremost, I'm going to go ahead and give a shout-out to the kid in Race who rolls with laminated Goosebumps trading cards in the spokes of his neon green bike.

I don't know who you are, but I like your moves. I like your style.

Ok, but enough of this tomfoolery. Life isn't all spooky children's novels and candy canes (What?). There's so much more to living than being super cool--though, that is very important. As a girl I know's Facebook quote section once said:

"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

--William Osler

That is what I'd like to talk to you about today. Here's the deal: There's a garden just north of Drexel's Campus, east of 33rd between Summer and Winter Streets. You might know it as the "Rape Garden." I'm not sure why Drexel kids are so obsessed with calling the one little piece of charming garden area on campus by such a horrible name. I suppose they think it's funny or kitsch. It's a disgrace. In reality, where mature adults are concerned, it is called "The Summer Winter Community Garden." The group behind this one acre plot of land strive to incorporate the surrounding neighborhood with specific emphasis on outreach to children and local students.

I walk through the garden every day on my way to work. I always try to stop and check it out. It's a very organic environment--and whatever, I'm not trying to be punny. I feel like it breathes and represents the west Philly flavor with style.

Let's face it, our neighborhood can be kind of beat. People don't really seem to care. Just yesterday, I came out of the garden and nearly fell into the sewer.




This little ditty is just one of hundreds of West Philly deathtraps that I've barely slipped by. Maybe we could use a little green leafiness amidst the danger.




So, if you'd like to stop by and check it out, feel free to walk through and have a look. If you're feeling altruistic, you could even stop by this Saturday, May 22nd to help out. I'm sure they'd be glad to see a few people interested in pitching in and getting their Planeteer on.

No comments:

Post a Comment