Monday, May 17, 2010

Talented Hooligans

Hey guys. Here's how I live: basically I've become a low-level adventurer. If I were Link, I'd still be running around with a wooden shield, stunning kids with Deku Nuts for fun. And maybe you're not a nerd (shame on you) but you should know: any good adventurer has to start somewhere. And Good GOD, Deku Nuts were worthless, but that's the thing. I'm not really trying to make a mark or do any damage. I'm an explorer these days. I'm all about the search, but I stop just short of destroy. Alright, sometimes I kick things, but that's neither here nor there.

Right, where did this come from? I've always been obsessed with adventure and quests. I was all about Super Solvers when I was a kid. I loved solving puzzles and mysteries, finding all the secrets. Then, my brother Mike got me hooked on point-and-click adventures in Sierra's heyday. The graphics were far from rad, but the stories were no less than five kinds of sweet. The Phantom Tollbooth makes me want to high-five everyone I know (I plan to read it to my nephew the minute I think his feeble little brain will be able to grasp how mind-bogglingly inspirational it is.) Adventure's in my blood. But, this is not a post on adventure. Andrew will be taking care of that in a day or two. This is a post about the things you can find if you know what to look for.

Oh and real quick: if you like indie punk music and any of the things I just mentioned check out Totally Michael "Get With It, Sierra" and "Death Hill" are songs that sum up my feelings about the evolution of the modern adventurer.

What I really want to teach you today is How To Be Alive.

#1. Don't let zombies eat your brain.
#2. Always make a mental note of the exits. Adventures are never without an escape plan.
#3. Always make a mental note of objects that could be used as weapons. Adventurers like weapons (mainly for use in event of zombie attacks.)
#4. (Secretly #0.) Most importantly: Observe the world. Inspect everything novel/suspicious. Never let the objective get in the way of more adventure.
#5. Always have secret rules and end lists of rules with a clever punch.
#6. No sex in the champagne room.

Memorize that list.

Now, one more explanation of my inspiration. I've been watching Adventure Time like it's been going out of style. The show has a hilarious way of making you realize how righteous the world can be if you have the courage to stop and take a look. Nature is a very trippy thing. Banksy and other street artists have opened my eyes to the possibilities of urban takeover. The city is what you want it to be. A few clever people can take a neighborhood and turn it into a work of art. I need to say that I have the utmost admiration for those who work to keep the world green and lively. I applaud the community of people who know how to take back the city, who have the skill and the drive to turn it into something they're proud to call their own. Me? I'm just here to tell you that it's happening. And to show you some clutch pictures of the evidence.














I'm going to use this thing called "Facebook" to host my adventure pictures. If you have a better image hosting site let me know. But anyway, here's the jist. I know my way around the city pretty well these days, but that's not the point. It's not enough to just go somewhere. You should wander there. Stroll even. Try to use secret handshakes on strangers, look at things, pop into places, say hello. Check it out. Just don't be in such a rush. Find things you like. It's really not hard.

Here are the albums:

Adventure Album 1


Adventure Album 2

Get out there, man. Feel free to ask me where any of that stuff is. I actually found out a few of the artists' names and all too. I promise to be more expository in the future, this is just an overview. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment