Thursday, May 20, 2010

Modern Art Makes Me Want To Rock Out

Hey guys, remember when I promised I was going to be more expository in the future?...What?..."No?" Jesus, do you even read this blog or do you just look at the super-sweet pictures? Here, it was at the end:
"Get out there, man. Feel free to ask me where any of that stuff is. I actually found out a few of the artists' names and all too. I promise to be more expository in the future, this is just an overview. Peace."

Ok, just as promised: Ben Woodward.

According to my calculations, Ben Woodward is an all-around genius. His art is stunning and, if his bio is any indication, he is a righteous dude.
"Ben Woodward was born in West Philadelphia in 1974. He was and still is a founding member of the artist group Space 1026, and has shown in galleries and museums from South Philadelphia to Japan. He currently lives with his wife, Chi; daughter, Atari; and their one eyed pug, Leroy. He hopes to be assassinated in Philadelphia."

Now, as you may or may not know, I have been adventuring through the city quite frequently lately. I first came across some of his work on Chestnut down around 17th (Near Scoop DeVille and that freaky, fake dog across the street from Scoop DeVille.) I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this funky little guy on the side of a mailbox.

I knew instantly that this was the work of a don, a man who would welcome assassination attempts, a man who would name his daughter something awesome like "Atari." I had to know who this man was. So I adventured on.

Naturally, I was pulled in through hipster-magnetism to 2nd street. I catted around for a short while, noting some of his other work, waiting for the owner of Exit Skateshop to get back from lunch (more on Exit in later posts). Ben Woodward's stuff was straight-up everywhere. He owned Northern Liberties.




As luck would have it, just as I was walking around growing more and more obsessed with this mystery artist, I see a man walk past with a stack of fliers. He's going around putting them in local shops, advertising an outdoor concert up at Liberty Lands. And guess whose art is on that very poster? Ben Effing Woodward. So I stop the man, and ask him if I can steal a flyer. I ask him about the concert and the artist. His name is Larry he is totally cool and he tells me all about the concert, but to find out who the artist is I have to pop into the publishing shop he owns and has just come out of. I say thank you and I run in and disrupt the designer of the flyer in the middle of his lunch. I apologize and say I have to know who this artist is NOW or there'll be hell to pay. He slaps me across the face and tells me "His name's Ben Woodward. He does most of the stuff for Space 1026. He's so legit."

Almost too legit. So yea, that's my story. I NEED to get the skinny on Space 1026 and check him out more. But that's another adventure for another day. But, man, he's cool. I'd die to meet him. And I'd stab a stranger with a knife for one of these shirts.

Or maybe I'll just buy one. Whatever. Bye, guys.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.artintheage.com/artists/ben-woodward/

    He has a daughter named Atari. That is all we really need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! I feel like the parents of her friends must realize how radical of a name that is. They'll be picking up their kids from Mr. Woodward's house like, "Come along, Max. It's time for dinner. You can play with Atari tomorrow."

    ReplyDelete