Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Protodan Chronicles and A Few Good Reasons To Dance

Hey, guys. I stopped home last night to get my car. I hung out with the fam for a while and my mom remembers something in the middle of our conversation. I'm like, "So we started this blog. It's basically just me being an idiot and telling people about things I like." My mom is like "Oh! That reminds me, I found an old journal you must have kept for grade school. It's on your dresser."

Needless to say: I'm psyched. I high-five my mom and run upstairs. Drop kick the door to my room and find THIS



My head explodes. If I were a normal person who remembered their childhood, I'm sure I would have felt nostalgic and weird. But I don't remember a damn thing, so I was excited and pumped to read it. Wait. Let me explain what's even going on here. I'm pretty sure Mrs. Newman told us to decorate our journals with things that represented us: pieces of flair that were telling of the personality contained in the book. Clearly I liked Gamegear, K'NEX, cats, Ninja Turtles, fucking rad skateboards, monster trucks, TV, toy guns, and aiming toy guns at TV's. I was such a little weirdo. I love it.

So anyway, I tear this thing open and am so psyched to figure out who I was at the time of this publishing. And guess what? I was so freaking cool. Mainly I wrote about kids I used to know and my pets and recess. But there was also this undertone of rebellion and genius. Take a look at these entries.





I was so raw. The little comments my teacher would leave me were the first instances of criticism I was meant to face. I not only took it like a champ; I wrote back. Looking over this journal, I cannot understand why I ever stopped writing. It was always so much fun. I mean, god DAMN, that poem about clocks is sick-nasty. Ok, well I've started again. That's all that matters. Young Danny would be proud.

Oh, and thanks to my iPod on the way in to work today, I've got Jetpack Blues, Sunset Hues stuck in my head like whoa right now. Anamanaguchi are very, very, very good. Andrew hipped me to them a year or two ago and I've seen them twice. They're doing the soundtrack to the Scott Pilgrim video-game at the moment. You should see them live if you ever get a chance.

One quick story. Andrew dragged me to The Danger Danger Gallery to see them. They opened with Blackout City--which may be their best song (actually Helix Nebula and Sting Operation are insane too...but whatever)--when they hit the hook EVERYONE freaked out and started to dance like madmen. Strobe lights, lasers, trained bears! But just then!

They blew like 673 fuses and all the power went out....silence....crickets.

One kid in the crowd goes, "Talk about 'Blackout City!'"...laughter...cheers...applause.

He was a god. Such a good show. Bye, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment